I’m starting an ongoing series of posts I’m going to call “Facts of Flavor”. I want to dig a little deeper into good culinary techniques and talk about how good technique creates great tasting food, with an emphasis on how we can use good technique to create healthy food, as well as the occasional treat.
Here are some of the topics I plan to cover
- How the human body senses taste and flavor, and how the two interact
- Just enough organic chemistry technique to understand some of the things that happen as we cook
- The roles that different foods play as we cook
- The scientific basis of good technique
- Whatever else seems to fit
I’m hopeful to come up with some fun experiments you can do to see the difference that technique can make as well. I’ll be kicking the whole thing off in the next few days by starting to talk about our sense of taste.
I hope you’re having a great holiday season, and that you follow it up with a happy new year! Stay tuned!